Did you ever imagine you put all of your efforts in making a successful website, and that website is generating sales for you, and suddenly someone get into it and hack it. I bet it won’t be a less than a heart attack. So before that someone really hack your website you should take some serious steps to make it extra level secure. Good news for WordPress folks that there are some top security plugins for WordPress that can help to make your website secure from hackers.
WordPress is one of the most popular CMS, so attackers are really interested to find new vulnerability in your websites. There might be different reasons that leave your website vulnerable for attackers.The outdated PHP version , Outdated Plugins and Themes, bad coded themes and plugins, using nulled themes and plugins (the most dangerous thing).
Things You Need To Do To Make Your Website Secure
Well if you are not that much tech savvy, you still can do many things from your end to make your website secure.
- Don’t use default username or password, set a difficult password and keep it in safe place.
- Don’t use Nulled plugins ,they are enemy of your website.
- Keep your Plugins and Themes Up to Date
- Limit login attempts
- Always download plugins and themes from trusted sources such as wordpress.org
- Most importantly install a Security Plugin
What Are The Top Security Plugins For WordPress?
there are many plugins available to make your website secure but in this article I will share only tested and top WordPress security plugins with you. By installing them and configuring the basic settings can make you safe from DDoS attacks and other malware injections.
Wordfence security is one of the most popular security plugin, they have a dedicated team who keeps this plugin updated. they don’t just keep their plugin updated but also they are involved in finding the new vulnerabilities in WordPress core and WordPress plugins.
Once you will install the plugin it will show you ask you run take a tour about how this plugin works. Once you have finished the tour it will take you to the dashboard where you can see the detailed stats about your website security.
- Scan: In scan option it simply scan your website and find the injected malware. In free version it does not highlight the affected area instantly.
- Firewall: Wordfence allows to add the firewall setting in your website,it helps to block all the attacks on your website, the free version update the rules every 30 days while in premium version the rules are updated in real time. It also helps you to keep your site safe from all brute force attacks.
- Blocking: The blocking feature helps to block all the IPs that try to login into your website.
- Live Traffic:
Wordfence affect your website performance, it adds the 24 extra tables in WordPress website upon its activation. If you don’t want to compromise on your website speed, then Wordfence won’t be a best deal for you.
Sucuri plugin is another amazing tool when it comes to secure your WordPress website. it is a best solution for beginner who are interested to keep their website secure from any kind of Brute Force attack. Sucuri has a user friendly interface that displays the information about the website’s security, The dashboard really makes a sense for non tech users.
When you will install the plugin, by default it will enable some settings that will make your site secure, but those options are not enough to keep it in safe zone, you have to figure it out yourself and need to enable other options that you think are necessary for your website.
- Block all Attacks(Firewall) : Sucuri helps to block all the incoming attacks to your websites and keep it safe from getting hacked. Sucuri has a cloud firewall that does not disturb your website speed while making your site secure.
- Last Logins: This feature keeps the administrator aware about the last logins. it shows the date, time and the username of of last login right inside WordPress dashboard
- Website Integrity Monitoring: Sucuri monitors your website and find all the spam redirection and link injection. some hackers try to get on your website and they replace their affiliate links with your affiliate link to steal the commission. Sucuri helps to find such. it keeps your site safe from all kind of spam attacks.
- Email Reporting and Audit Logs: It sends the email at the administrator’s email every time when something gets changed on website such as Plugin activation, theme change, post published etc.
- Malware Removal Service: Other than regular scanning and updating, if your site has already a malware inside your website you can take the Sucuri services. it will clean up your website from every kind of malware and will suggest you some steps to keep it safe in future.
The Scan feature sometimes fail to scan website properly, it keeps scanning the entire website but finds nothing serious. The firewall feature is not available in free version, you have to pay in order to get the firewall.
All in One WP Security
All In One WP Security is a powerful plugin that helps to improve your WordPress security and keep it safe from any kind of brute force or DDoS attack. If you want to have a your website secured without spending a penny, then All in One WP Security is a perfect choice for you.
- Blacklist Tool: This tool will help you to block specific users for specific reasons. it will help your site from any harmful attempt.
- Visual Graphs: It shows a visual graph right inside the WordPress dashboard that shows the stats about your website security.
- Backup: This plugin creates the backup of .htaccess and wp-config.php file before making any change.